What do Folks Like to Talk About?

Share your experiences learning to live "In the Wild"
Mark
the middle number please (7): 7

Re: What do Folks Like to Talk About?

Post by Mark »

free2behis wrote:
Mark wrote: Yeah. Maybe that's why my posts appear to have cleared out the other forum.
I Posted this (from James Tabor, one of my fav scholars these days) and as I recall it didnt go down too well...
http://jamestabor.com/wp-content/upload ... andres.pdf

Of course it shuts down conversation....

imagine what would happen if it were ever discovered that some of these alternative views (Paul was a gnostic for example) are true. It would knock the foundation right from under the institution in one fell swoop. This is the same thinking that drives governments to cover up evidence of things like UFO's. If it were discovered that there actually are other beings visiting this planet, it destroys the foundations of everything we think we know.
"True" is a strong word of course, but "likelihood" is actually the currency of academia and science. "True" is for religions. But the academic community who studies this stuff feel the "likelihood" of Paul being a semi-fictional Gnostic has strong support. In "Jesus Interrupted", Ehrman, on a slightly different subject (scriptural origins and contradictions) actually comes right out and says that in most mainstream seminaries, the NT scholarship that changes everything and which you cant unsee, is actually taught openly. In otherwords, the world is filled with pastors who have heard this stuff and done papers on it and so on and never take it to the pulpit. To talk to them, it's as if they have never heard it. Are they blocking it from their minds or covering it up? Either way, there are popular books on every shelf in every bookstore by Ehrman and Tabor and *nothing*. Hidden in plain sight. This is why I think it was Orwell or Huxley that said you don't have to lie and cover up the biggest scandals because peoples own incredulity will do the job of censoring it better than anything. (Or something like that).
radio roswell

Post by radio roswell »

I realize now what really got under my skin about religion is the proud division of it. The idea we have the answer whether your looking for it or not and you better conform to what we found out.

How twisted is that ?

It appeals immediately to the egoic self preservation. Like moths to a street light in summer. With this kind of reasoning and filter it's only the most identifiable exclusive cult like interpretive will become clear.

So easy to say..." The Bible says........" Yeah..well I think it says....."

All matters of self reflection and greater purpose of wholeness lost to arrogant one way tickets. Empathy is swallowed up in our way or the high way. So done with it now. So glad to be out of that paradigm. 8-)
Every time you speak your mind is on parade.
Mark

Post by Mark »

radio roswell wrote:I realize now what really got under my skin about religion is the proud division of it. The idea we have the answer whether your looking for it or not and you better conform to what we found out.

How twisted is that ?

It appeals immediately to the egoic self preservation. Like moths to a street light in summer. With this kind of reasoning and filter it's only the most identifiable exclusive cult like interpretive will become clear.

So easy to say..." The Bible says........" Yeah..well I think it says....."

All matters of self reflection and greater purpose of wholeness lost to arrogant one way tickets. Empathy is swallowed up in our way or the high way. So done with it now. So glad to be out of that paradigm. 8-)
The same thing happens with climate change. The science is settled. Pardon? Its really, literally, the same thing as saying the science is censored. Legitimate scientists with legitimate questions and observations lose their reputations and careers, get blackballed by publications and conferences and consigned to a life of shame and ridicule. People who question it get called "deniers" with its transparent and disgusting allusion to hollocaust denial. And everyone is somehow cool with this. Otherwise critically minded people stand by or even participate in this behaviour simply because they happen to be on the "correct" side. But they dont see it metacognitively. They only see the issue. And their mind is made up about that and being contradicted or disagreed with just blows their mind.
They call climate change "denial" a mental illness when ironically the compulsive and combative inflexibility and lightening quick descent into mob mentality is far closer to a genuine aberration of rational thought and self reflection.
Certainty seems to be worse for us than heroin.
radio roswell

Post by radio roswell »

Exactly, it's a human problem.

We tend to see the world in mental communities of safe havens of certainty. It's a type of bullying to conform to the status of the community at hand or face ridicule. No critical thinking required or it is considered the critical thinking has taken place by " experts".

To watch it in 3-d of said belief system dips really amazing. Again..I cannot stress enough the freedom to believe as you wish but the forbidding of critical anaylization and intellectual discussion is really the most frustrating of human exsistence.
free2behis

Post by free2behis »

This seems appropriate to this conversation.

http://theoatmeal.com/comics/religion

A couple of highlights.

Meditating and reflecting on the experience of having a mind...
radio roswell

Post by radio roswell »

:lol:

I love the oatmeal.
Mark

Post by Mark »

:D
I cant figure out how to post images from my iPad but I also like the one about voting for political candidates. It's funny because its true. People do that.