Giving up the familiar

Share your experiences learning to live "In the Wild"
AidaC
the middle number please (7): 7

Giving up the familiar

Post by AidaC »

A couple of years ago, I began to sense that the time for me to retire was drawing near, however, I didn’t want to just retire without knowing what the next step would be. For a number of years, I’d been a volunteer at a local hospital but my volunteer hours had tended to be sporadic since I also had to work around my fixed job schedule. Although I enjoyed the volunteer work that I was doing, I was somewhat disappointed since it had never connected with my heart the way I had hoped.

Earlier this year, however, I began volunteering at the fitness center where I’ve been a member for about 4 years. This fitness center is actually a health and fitness center and is part of the hospital where I’d been volunteering. It soon became apparent that volunteering at the fitness center was connecting with my heart in a way that volunteering at the hospital never had done. As a result, I’ve become convinced that devoting more time there is the next step so, on Tuesday, I began my Thanksgiving break and I won’t be returning to my job. Now, I’m officially retired.

I don’t know if employment at the fitness center is in the future but, if it isn’t, I’m enjoying my volunteer work there and I feel fulfilled in a way that I haven’t in a long time. I feel like I’m adding value to the lives of the people that I work with and that’s making a big difference in my life.

Retirement after so many years of working can be scary but it’s wonderful to look forward to doing something that I really enjoy. I feel like I’ve waited a long time to get to this place in my life and I’m excited to finally be there. I don’t know if the Aida of the past would have been able to give up the security of the familiar but I’m thankful that the new ME is now willing to move away from the comfortable and step out into the unknown trusting that God has got my back.
"Smell the aroma of your union with Christ" - Andrew Farley