Needing encouragement

Share your experiences learning to live "In the Wild"
heather cassidy
the middle number please (7): 7

Needing encouragement

Post by heather cassidy »

Hi there,
I hope you guys don't mind me posting something a little negative today. I've been so discouraged the last few days. I had been dealing so well with being out of church and learning and thinking lots about God and was feeling really positive. A couple of days ago I had a visit from an old friend who I had not seen for maybe three years. I have known her for many years and she was actually my youth pastor growing up. I wanted to talk to her about what had been going on with me and she told me that she no longer believes in God. Her son committed suicide around fifteen years ago and I think this has probably affected her beliefs. She said that she doesn't want to live forever and doesn't want to be in a place that may be separate from her children. I love and respect this woman with all my heart. That is why it was so hard for me to hear. She also told me to be aware that this might happen to me to. It's just really shaken me up. It's certainly not like I'm fearing for her salvation or anything. It just makes me so sad that a person's life can be so hard that everything they ever lived for is left behind. Also I really don't want this to happen to me! I wish I could find a safe community where I would not feel at risk of some kind of abuse. I suffer from depression so I know that I am more vulnerable than most people anyway and being treated badly or being taught rubbish in church can leave me in a very bad place. This is part of the reason I am doing this Christianity thing on my own at the minute but it also leaves you with vulnerability too. Sorry for the long post. Just being honest about where I'm at. Thanks for reading xx
AidaC

Re: Needing encouragement

Post by AidaC »

Heather, I’m so sorry to hear about your friend’s struggles. Losing a child that way would be very difficult and I hope she soon finds the peace that right now is eluding her.

The early part of this journey is very hard and disconcerting as we struggle to find a new normal for ourselves. I also remember feeling very raw and vulnerable so don’t worry about sharing your struggles. Hopefully, we’ll be able to encourage you in some way.

Hurts can turn us away from God but, from what I’ve seen, people usually draw closer to him during those difficult times so don’t worry that you might leave God. Everyone is different and just because she’s drifted away doesn’t mean that you will. Also, where she is now is not necessarily a permanent location. In time, she might find her way back to God. Just continue to be her friend and enjoy those things that you are able to enjoy together in this new season of your friendship.
"Smell the aroma of your union with Christ" - Andrew Farley
heather cassidy

Re: Needing encouragement

Post by heather cassidy »

Thanks so much Aids. You are a wonderful person. I think I know I'll never lose my faith now. Sometimes I feel like when we come through fear and doubt it makes our faith stronger because it's stood up against those things. I feel the same about my friend. She has an amazing history with God and I very much believe he is still with her. I certainly find I have ups and downs on this journey but I am hopeful it is all for the best x