The Church

Share your experiences learning to live "In the Wild"
AidaC
the middle number please (7): 7

The Church

Post by AidaC »

I never ask believers where they go to church because who they hang out with Sunday mornings just isn't important to me. No matter where they go, they ARE the Church and labeling them as Baptist, Presbyterian, Charismatic or whatever can be a hindrance to relationship because instead of seeing the person, we see doctrine. What is important is connecting with them on a heart level and that isn't always possible once we've labeled them. So, I've determined to forget the labels and focus on the heart because I want to know them, not their doctrine.
"Smell the aroma of your union with Christ" - Andrew Farley
Noblemen

Re: The Church

Post by Noblemen »

AidaC wrote:I never ask believers where they go to church because who they hang out with Sunday mornings just isn't important to me. No matter where they go, they ARE the Church and labeling them as Baptist, Presbyterian, Charismatic or whatever can be a hindrance to relationship because instead of seeing the person, we see doctrine. What is important is connecting with them on a heart level and that isn't always possible once we've labeled them. So, I've determined to forget the labels and focus on the heart because I want to know them, not their doctrine.

Absolutely seeing Christ in them is the only way to handle people. For the born again anyway, where they go, what they do is all part of how the Lord handles his children and bringing them to an understanding of who they are in a complete and total freedom.
AidaC

Post by AidaC »

So true, Noblemen. There are so many important and interesting things we can learn about one another, it just seems silly in my opinion to spend time discussing what church we go to.
eagle77

Post by eagle77 »

Very much agree with the both of you. Jesus only mentions one church in the NT, and that is the Body of Christ. It is a spiritual assembly - God's Ecclesia, that is not dependent on a physical place. There is a danger when we localize God in buildings made with human hands, and believe that He has more preeminence inside of a religious structure than any other place. The IC and man-made doctrines have only divided God's people. It really saddens me when I see how religion with all it's accouterments and man-made traditions have impacted God's people.
AidaC

Post by AidaC »

eagle77 wrote:The IC and man-made doctrines have only divided God's people. It really saddens me when I see how religion with all it's accouterments and man-made traditions have impacted God's people.
I totally agree, eagle. When we unite ourselves along denominational or institutional lines, we automatically separate ourselves from believers who aren't part of our group. As you said, the church is actually a spiritual entity which is not controlled by location. I actually feel closer to believers who I've never met face to face than I do with some believers with whom I spend time in church. Although we've never met physically, our connection is a heart connection which is the most powerful connection that exists.