Through the Years

Share your experiences learning to live "In the Wild"
AidaC
the middle number please (7): 7

Through the Years

Post by AidaC »

I was feeling a bit down today as I thought about the issues that I'm dealing with. I've been reminding myself that it's going to be okay, that God will work it out for my good but at times, it's hard to hold on to faith when I can't see the end. Anyway, He must have known that I needed an extra reminder because when I went to Walmart they were playing "Through the Years" by Kenny Rogers.

When I got to the car, I found it on YouTube and listened to it. I'm sure the song was meant for a man to sing to his wife but, in the words, I saw my relationship with God. He and I have been together for probably over 40 years and I can honestly say "it's better every day, He's kissed my tears away."

Anyway, not to be too sappy but this song reminded me of our history together and there's nothing "the two of us can't do." I needed that encouragement today and I hope you'll also be encouraged and reminded of God's love and faithfulness.

[/youtube]
"Smell the aroma of your union with Christ" - Andrew Farley
Noblemen

Re: Through the Years

Post by Noblemen »

AidaC wrote:I was feeling a bit down today as I thought about the issues that I'm dealing with. I've been reminding myself that it's going to be okay, that God will work it out for my good but at times, it's hard to hold on to faith when I can't see the end. Anyway, He must have known that I needed an extra reminder because when I went to Walmart they were playing "Through the Years" by Kenny Rogers.

When I got to the car, I found it on YouTube and listened to it. I'm sure the song was meant for a man to sing to his wife but, in the words, I saw my relationship with God. He and I have been together for probably over 40 years and I can honestly say "it's better every day, He's kissed my tears away."

Anyway, not to be too sappy but this song reminded me of our history together and there's nothing "the two of us can't do." I needed that encouragement today and I hope you'll also be encouraged and reminded of God's love and faithfulness.

[/youtube]
He is always there with a love song not to be to sappy but He is a wonderful Father even when we are not feeling it.
eagle77

Post by eagle77 »

I can really relate to what you said here Aida, I've been feeling very much like you lately. It seems like there was a time in my life I could sense God in my life or working on my behalf, but not anymore. I have a very limited internet plan - otherwise I would listen to this song again, but remember the lyrics which are simply beautiful. It is a nice analogy. I truly hope things will get better for you soon.
AidaC

Post by AidaC »

Thanks,Noblemen and Eagle. There's been some major changes in my life as a result of Darin's visit and, while it's been good, it's also difficult to adjust to. Right now, I'm having to focus on the history I've built with God. Whenever it's been hard, even when I couldn't "feel" him, I knew he was there walking me through it and I know that now. I remember once telling him that my emotions were so messed up that I couldn't trust myself to follow him but that I could trust him to lead me. I'm pretty much in the same place right now. Following as best I can, trusting that he'll keep me on the right path.

Years ago, he gave me a Bible verse that helped me walk through a very difficult time and I was remembering that verse again this morning. It's Isaiah 43:18 -19.

“Forget the former things; do not dwell on the past.
See, I am doing a new thing! Now it springs up; do you not perceive it?
I am making a way in the wilderness and streams in the wasteland."

That's pretty much where I am today. Trying to forget the past and looking forward to the new thing that God's doing that I can't see right now.

I hope things will also get better for you too, Eagle. It's good to know that we're not alone.
Noblemen

Post by Noblemen »

AidaC wrote:Thanks,Noblemen and Eagle. There's been some major changes in my life as a result of Darin's visit and, while it's been good, it's also difficult to adjust to. Right now, I'm having to focus on the history I've built with God. Whenever it's been hard, even when I couldn't "feel" him, I knew he was there walking me through it and I know that now. I remember once telling him that my emotions were so messed up that I couldn't trust myself to follow him but that I could trust him to lead me. I'm pretty much in the same place right now. Following as best I can, trusting that he'll keep me on the right path.

Years ago, he gave me a Bible verse that helped me walk through a very difficult time and I was remembering that verse again this morning. It's Isaiah 43:18 -19.

“Forget the former things; do not dwell on the past.
See, I am doing a new thing! Now it springs up; do you not perceive it?
I am making a way in the wilderness and streams in the wasteland."

That's pretty much where I am today. Trying to forget the past and looking forward to the new thing that God's doing that I can't see right now.

I hope things will also get better for you too, Eagle. It's good to know that we're not alone.
You know its so true it seems we are on the mountain top or in the valley so to say. My life has been one or the other but ive learned He can be trusted. I think maybe that what its about, I know were not of this world, I dont even try to fit in, I just be myself.
Iknow I dont try to impress my Father anymore, He made you just like He wanted you. Religion will always run deep in us, the roots are deep. But when we look back through the years we can praise Him.
Ive learned no matter how good I am a or how bad I His neverending love and correction leads me.
AidaC

Post by AidaC »

Noblemen wrote:Religion will always run deep in us, the roots are deep. But when we look back through the years we can praise Him.
Very true. I don't think we'll be totally free of religion while in this world and maybe not even in the next. However, I think the important thing is not to be concerned with how free we are but to learn to follow our heart more fully each day. I believe it's a never ending journey of discovery most of which we learn while in the hard places of life.
Noblemen

Post by Noblemen »

AidaC wrote:
Noblemen wrote:Religion will always run deep in us, the roots are deep. But when we look back through the years we can praise Him.
Very true. I don't think we'll be totally free of religion while in this world and maybe not even in the next. However, I think the important thing is not to be concerned with how free we are but to learn to follow our heart more fully each day. I believe it's a never ending journey of discovery most of which we learn while in the hard places of life.
remember the song "I wound'nt take nothing for my Journey now" rings true
eagle77

Post by eagle77 »

Noblemen wrote:You know its so true it seems we are on the mountain top or in the valley so to say. My life has been one or the other but ive learned He can be trusted. I think maybe that what its about, I know were not of this world, I dont even try to fit in, I just be myself.
AidaC wrote:Very true. I don't think we'll be totally free of religion while in this world and maybe not even in the next.
I wished I could reach the point where I no longer care what others think about me and their judgement of me for not participating in man-made religious organizations. I recently had one bad thing after another happen, and my mother told me it was because I did not have God in my life. It does bother me, particularly my family, but I am beginning to realize they will never be free from the bondage of the law. They like the system too much and how it makes them feel - they don't want to give it up. That is what church leaders count on - and of course, guilt and fear.I have to remain faithful to Jesus despite all of this, and live with the cards that has been dealt to me. But is a hard journey, and I am fighting heavy depression.

It is true - we will never be free of religion in this world. There is something about religion and all its trappings that defies common sense and reasoning. When you see people murdering others in the name of the God they believe in, you see the stronghold religion has over others. That includes Christians too.
AidaC

Post by AidaC »

Eagle, the journey outside of the religious system is not an easy one and I don't think it will ever get easy. We just have to decide that it's worth the struggle but dealing with family is always the hardest part of this battle. I've been there so I understand.

We understand that sometimes free believers don't have anyone to encourage them which is why we set up this forum. Hopefully, we can provide the needed encouragement which will enable you to continue your journey.

Religious strongholds are the hardest to break in my opinion because they are not only tied to the present but they are tied to life after death. People are in bondage because they fear the after life and unscrupulous religious leaders know how to manipulate that fear.
Noblemen

Post by Noblemen »

eagle77 wrote:
Noblemen wrote:You know its so true it seems we are on the mountain top or in the valley so to say. My life has been one or the other but ive learned He can be trusted. I think maybe that what its about, I know were not of this world, I dont even try to fit in, I just be myself.
AidaC wrote:Very true. I don't think we'll be totally free of religion while in this world and maybe not even in the next.
I wished I could reach the point where I no longer care what others think about me and their judgement of me for not participating in man-made religious organizations. I recently had one bad thing after another happen, and my mother told me it was because I did not have God in my life. It does bother me, particularly my family, but I am beginning to realize they will never be free from the bondage of the law. They like the system too much and how it makes them feel - they don't want to give it up. That is what church leaders count on - and of course, guilt and fear.I have to remain faithful to Jesus despite all of this, and live with the cards that has been dealt to me. But is a hard journey, and I am fighting heavy depression.

It is true - we will never be free of religion in this world. There is something about religion and all its trappings that defies common sense and reasoning. When you see people murdering others in the name of the God they believe in, you see the stronghold religion has over others. That includes Christians too.

Yes we can feel your pain, it will always hurt even more so from family. When the Lord led me out of religion I was traveling and ministering. I tryed to dance around a new found freedom I was seeing in the word. But what I was seeing just kept coming out, if it's in you it will come out. So I ended up leaving religion.
I recieved calls that I was of the devil, I should come back to God, I needed to repent. I was called on the carpet so to say by my peers as well as family.
That was 20 years ago and still today their is seperation all over religion. That is a sad situation to say the least but you have to follow your heart when the Lord is leading you. Even if that means just you and Him, He will in time send others in to our lives the are in the same situation.
It has not been easy but in my situation I feel I have been true to myself and I'm free to say what I see as truth and not some doctrine of man.
eagle77

Post by eagle77 »

Thanks Aida and Nobleman for the encouragement. The support I have found here has been invaluable to me. Sorry Aida- I didnt mean to, but I guess I kind of hijacked this thread :oops: . You hit the nail on the head - fear is the main weapon religous leaders use over believers. It is mind boggling that so many Christians can't understand why the world doesn't want to hear about Jeus, when they see our own relationships with God based in fear. Fear does not bring joy, love or peace, yet we speak to them as if it does.That not very attractive to a non-believer, yet we scratch our heads and blamed the world for not wanting to have anything to do with Jesus.

I can very much to relate to what you said Nobleman. I've been told I don't have God in my life, I should at least pray, bad things are happening to me because I don't go to church, etc. Sadly, most believers require physical props, a spiritual leader other than Jesus, and other manisfistations to make God seem more real to them. Church leaders convince them of this, but that is diabolical to what faith is really about. They have convinced believers to continue operating under the law under false pretenses. But like you, I have to be true to myself, and as Jesus said, I will not become entangled again in a yoke of bondage.
Noblemen

Post by Noblemen »

Hang in there, it gets better. Yeah sorry Aida for getting off OP.
I'm having flashbacks right now, when I first left the building I was so trained and did not know what to do, I used to put on my suit take my Bible, so all my neighbors could see me doing the same thing I had always done.
After all I was the light right, but I would drive to the country and ride around and cry not knowing what to do or where to go with my life.

I tried going back a few times, but I could not take the message.
I could not stand what I was doing ministry wise.
I have learned through time and teaching that you can't judge a man, and I won't but I will judge his message.
I think most sincere believers understand when a man has come to the end of himself.
It's not his message, it's not his ministry, it's not what we are doing for the Lord.
AidaC

Post by AidaC »

eagle77 wrote:Thanks Aida and Nobleman for the encouragement. The support I have found here has been invaluable to me. Sorry Aida- I didnt mean to, but I guess I kind of hijacked this thread :oops: .
Noblemen wrote:Hang in there, it gets better. Yeah sorry Aida for getting off OP.
Don't ever worry about hijacking one of my threads. This is all about us having a conversation and normal conversation always moves in multiple directions which is the way it should be. This has been a great conversation and it's encouraged me to read about your struggles and your victories.
Noblemen wrote:I would drive to the country and ride around and cry not knowing what to do or where to go with my life.
I can really relate to what you've said. When I first started pulling away from the system, I felt totally lost. I remember thinking that I didn't have a church and I didn't have a pastor. I was devastated.

I'm pretty much on this journey by myself. I've had opposition from my family so, for the most part, it's best if we just don't discuss it. I hate not being able to share this part of my heart with my family but it is what it is. I'm just thankful for being able to share my heart with all of you and I'm glad you feel you can be open and honest here.
AidaC

Post by AidaC »

I found the following article about the struggles of leaving church which I thought was very good. It's in line with the conversation we've been having so I thought I'd post it here.

http://www.patheos.com/blogs/rebariley/ ... ng-church/
Noblemen

Post by Noblemen »

Religion as I choose to call it or the institutional building, I suppose has a purpose. I don't believe anything exists in this world if the Lord does not allow it to exist.
Let me rephrase that, I believe if something exists it is because the Lord allows it.
The reason I make that statement is because I see religion sometimes as a womb, they can bring forth a child, born again.
And we are taught some things, some of which are not so bad.
But the making of a mature son or daughter is totally dependent upon the father.
That is where religion becomes a hindrance to an ongoing believer, if you get any revelation at all apart from their doctrine your shut down.

So just a thought on this nice cool Monday morning, I hope everyone had a great Thanksgiving.
I will check out that article Aida