Trusting God - My Journey

Share your experiences learning to live "In the Wild"
AidaC
the middle number please (7): 7

Trusting God - My Journey

Post by AidaC »

On another thread, I was asked what does trusting God mean. I thought that question might provide some interesting and maybe informative discussion so I decided to start a new thread and share some of my journey of learning how to trust God. However, since I can only speak for myself, what I'm sharing is totally from my perspective. Others here may view things differently.

That being said, I've found that trusting God is basically no different than trusting anyone else. I don't normally trust someone the minute I first meet them and it was the same with God. My definition of trust is to have confidence in someone. When I first met God, I didn't know him so I didn't have confidence in him or his willingness to take care of me. I used to worry about everything and I would immediately try to take control of my situations rather than moving forward wisely. Over time, however, God has proven to me that I can have confidence in him. Again, this has been for me a journey of building trust. It didn't come over night but has been years in the making and it still continues.

As I said before, I've found that trusting God is no different than trusting anyone else. When someone proves to me that they are a person of integrity who desires my best interest and whose word I can depend on, then trust is built. Anyway, I don't know if I've made myself clear but I really don't think trusting God is a mysterious thing. Instead, I believe it's just a natural outgrowth of a healthy relationship.
"Smell the aroma of your union with Christ" - Andrew Farley
Jac

Re: Trusting God - My Journey

Post by Jac »

Very well said Aida.

I wonder if really knowing Him (as well as we can know Him) as a person is the key. We need to trust Him to be who He really is. For example we can worship some person we have invented for ourselves, like a magic fix-it all emotionless being "up there", or even almost worship a book and forget He is a real person with real depth of personality and feeling and thinking, and who desires real connection with us.

Knowing Him is not something that comes all at once, is it. It is a lifelong process of relating to Him (real relating, not reading a book) and realising the depth of who He is and how much He loves us, and learning to love Him back.

Comparing human relationships built on trust does make me think of an aspect of how I got to know my husband. We spent most of our engagement miles apart and only had mail as the means of getting to know each other better. It was all we had at the time and it fulfilled it's purpose, however inadequately. But as the years together have gone on I know him better and better, and love and trust grows in our relationship. While keeping the letters might be sentimental I would never go back and read them to get to know him. Doing so would bring misunderstanding and shallowness to our relationship that has developed far beyond that and with that has grown greater and greater trust.

I don't think trust in God was ever meant as a way to put Him into action for us, or sort of to get His attention, which are ideas that come from religion.

Relationships are built on mutual trust and so I wonder if God experiences pleasure and comfort when we are trustworthy in the relationship too.
Jeff of Hydes

Post by Jeff of Hydes »

I trust God. I see in what I believe I can intellectually affirm or begin to grasp of Him, and experientially have seen Him affirm of Himself is He is faithful, gracious, and loving towards me.
I know Him, but certainly do not think I know Him extremely well, not enough to say, "I know exactly what He is doing or will do". Not specifically. I know it will be to my good ultimately, but how He does that I don't expect to predict with anything approaching reliable accuracy.
I sincerely trust that most importantly HE KNOWS Me. Of the two, my knowing Him to some degree, and He knowing me as only He can know me, if I am short on the first I will be okay because what I need to count on, trust in, rest in, is the second part. He knows me fully and knows just what to do about it!

A disclaimer: AidaC, this is Jeff also known as Bull of the Woods. I was expunged from the forum before but felt an urge to see how it goes here.
If you wish to banish me, of course you have the right and authority, no complaint here.
Hope you and those you love are well.

Jeff
AidaC

Post by AidaC »

Jeff of Hydes wrote:
A disclaimer: AidaC, this is Jeff also known as Bull of the Woods. I was expunged from the forum before but felt an urge to see how it goes here.
If you wish to banish me, of course you have the right and authority, no complaint here.
Hope you and those you love are well.

Jeff
Hi Jeff. The forum's been pretty quiet lately, probably my fault. I've been busy and don't get on the computer much.

I'm doing well. We survived the recent hurricane with no damage other than the loss of power for two days. Others here in South Carolina were not as fortunate. I know North Carolina got it even worse than we did. Were you affected by the hurricane at all?
"Smell the aroma of your union with Christ" - Andrew Farley
Jeff of Hydes

Post by Jeff of Hydes »

No. The hurricane was of no consequence in Maryland. I am about 10 miles in a straight line from the Chesapeake Bay. The worst that usually happens in Maryland from hurricanes is when they come up the bay and cause a lot of flood damage. Though a few times we have gone without electric and were stuck at home because of winds knocking down extensive amounts of trees. We are "out in the country" and always last on the list for repairs when a lot of homes lose electrical power due to storms. Anyway, this one pretty much went out to sea before it got this far north.
Jac

Post by Jac »

Hi Aida and Jeff
Good to see you folks are back. Been a while, during which I have checked regularly for some activity!

I have this idea about trusting God meaning that He weeps with me when really sad, destructive, hurtful things happen. They aren't necessarily good for me in any way but they are part of life in this world. I even go so far as to think that one day He will look at us with eyes full of love and simply say "I am sorry" and all the hurt and confusion will fade away in His love and and empathy and understanding.

Some might think my ideas make suffering seem pointless and wasted. But I don't feel I need suffering to mean anything. In the future great scheme of things I think it will just be relegated to its place of impotence to be unable affect us for anything, good or bad. It will just be a speck in the reality of fully knowing His love.

I don't think I am explaining myself very well. I just cannot stop thinking that some things are just bad, and I don't see God challenging me to "trust Him" as in believing it will all be ok in those circumstances. I see trusting as knowing He empathises with me in my pain, not necessarily believing that it will all work out because sometimes it just doesn't. I don't think He minds if I just see no point in some things because to me evil has no point to it worth mentioning. It is just evil.

I suppose I would have to admit that I don't at this time think that God necessarily intervenes in this world, because He gave us the gift of free will and how we use or abuse it is up to us. Not to say He doesn't care; because He weeps (or rejoices or maybe even has a good laugh with us - I don't mean at us.) After all He did not stop it when mankind fell with all the bad consequences. Not to say even that He doesn't sometimes step in for a special reason only He knows. But I don't think it is the norm, so to speak.

Sorry for raving on. I can get too wordy at times. I know others see it differently and I don't mean to put down what others think or experience at all. My hope is that we can all find a place of peace in whatever understanding and experience we have.
Jeff of Hydes

Post by Jeff of Hydes »

Well said Jac.
There is something deeply significant in the scene at Lazarus' tomb in that Christ wept, though He also had complete power and authority to undo this man's suffering and death.
So we can trust that at the least He weeps with us. And He may just at times do more.