Failing successfully

Share your experiences learning to live "In the Wild"
AidaC
the middle number please (7): 7

Failing successfully

Post by AidaC »

"Anyone who has succeeded in business has survived a lot of failure - but they were tough enough to get back up and try again and again. . . Self-esteem should come from overcoming challenges and surviving the hard knocks of trying to be better." - Donald Trump

Whether you like him or not, I think there's a lot of wisdom in what he has to say and this is one quote that I absolutely love.

I think we have a grave misunderstanding of that phenomenon that we call "failure." Failure only occurs when we're trying to move away from the familiar. It doesn't define who we are and it should not be attached to our self-esteem. We're not failures. We've just discovered that the way we've been approaching things doesn't work so it's time to try something new. Failure only occurs when we keep trying the same thing and expecting a different result or when we give up.

I think we should all be encouraged since we've all failed at some time in our life and it's good to know that we can come out of the mess stronger and wiser.
"Smell the aroma of your union with Christ" - Andrew Farley
Jac

Re: Failing successfully

Post by Jac »

I think there is a bit of a culture that justifies ignoring the Lazarus at our gate by saying he didn't try hard enough to succeed or his situation is His own fault. Don't get me wrong; I applaud the concept of keeping on trying again and trying different things. But sometimes the fact is that nothing works. Sometimes success is as much lucky breaks, walking over others, and selfishness as it is failing and trying again and again. But the rich and powerful sometimes like to think they deserve their situation rather than use it to champion the poor and downtrodden.

I don't mean to be discouraging but whether we succeed or fail I think our self esteem must be centred in God's unfailing love.
Jeff of Hydes

Post by Jeff of Hydes »

I think an important thing to me when discussing failure is to ponder what is success.
I am not interested in bashing business competition or making a lot of money ala Trump. Not that those things are %100 evil, if done legally and ethically.
I am not interested in having the greatest career if it would take me away from my family.
If we pursue the right things can we be a failure? Sure we may not get the thing we pursued, but does that make us a failure.
Remember the "Hall of Faith" in Hebrews and those extolled who had the hope but did not live to see the reward in THIS life? They were not failures.
Just some quick thoughts.
Maybe I am wrong.
Jac

Post by Jac »

Good thoughts Jeff. Just thought that the Trump quote was, just as it said, about succeeding in business. Applying it in a different definition of success is interesting (not that I think Trump meant it differently)! I am interested in the definition of success according to God. I haven't thought much about it in that context. Maybe it is just not about success and failure as such but about doing the best we can with what we have.
brettact2

Post by brettact2 »

I went thru a period in my life when God was training me in overcoming, ie, failing successfully. We wrote this poem together about it.

Go ahead,
My child,
Give it another try,
Don't runaway and hide,
Don't shrivel up and cry,
Don't refuse to look Me straight in the eye;
Just give it another try.

Forget your failure,
I have.
There is nothing to fear,
Forget how you appear,
Who, but I, sees clear?

I am your Father,
I am your guide,
There need not be reason for pain to reside.
Just give it another try.

Forget your human rights,
What looks good only by sight.
Allow Me to teach you what is real,
Then you will know how to feel,
So the abundant life will always be your seal.

Go ahead,
My child,
Give it another try,
So give it, give it another try.
Give Me, give Me another try.
AidaC

Post by AidaC »

Jac wrote:Good thoughts Jeff. Just thought that the Trump quote was, just as it said, about succeeding in business. Applying it in a different definition of success is interesting (not that I think Trump meant it differently)! I am interested in the definition of success according to God. I haven't thought much about it in that context. Maybe it is just not about success and failure as such but about doing the best we can with what we have.
Of course, being a business man, Donald Trump often thinks in terms of business, however, I wasn't thinking about business when I posted this. I was thinking about life in general. Some people have a tendency to think of themselves as losers when their lives don't match up to someone else's standards and that's just not so.

I love your poem, Brett. You've beautifully managed to make the point that I was trying to make.

I think a great example of success was my attempts to lose weight. I tried different methods for several years and the weight kept going up, up, up. I was discouraged and ready to give up and then in 2009, I found out about Weight Watchers. I liked what I heard and immediately signed on. I thought it would take me 6 months to lose the weight but instead, it took me 2 long years. It wasn't always easy and I had a few "failures" along the way. I had many opportunities to give up but instead of giving up, I continued to press on. Along the way, I've made some lifestyle changes and have tried to stay focused on my goal of health and weight loss. To make a long story short, I've lost about 60 pounds and have kept it off for almost 6 years. That to me is success. That also led to a change of careers and, at 70 years of age, I became certified as a personal fitness trainer.

While I wasn't thinking of the rich and famous as opposed to the poor and down trodded, I do agree that some goals may be unrealistic. For example, I consider myself fit and fairly healthy for a 70 year old grandma but I would never try to win the Miss America pageant. It's just not going to happen. However, even though I do have some physical limitations, I can continue to exercise and enjoy activities taking into consideration those limitations.
"Smell the aroma of your union with Christ" - Andrew Farley
Jac

Post by Jac »

I guess I am content to do and be the best I can with what strengths and opportunities I do have. I suppose some would say "increase your strength and make opportunities". That kind of endless dissatisfaction with who I am now, today, causes enormous stress for me. I am not anybody's idea of success. But for me of more importance is taking one day at a time in the shelter of His love.

I think really I prefer not to think about success and failure. Too many pitfalls. I know many people who struggle only partially successfully, or even lose battles against enormous odds no matter what they try or how often they try, yet are beautiful people. Wonderful people.

Sometimes it is more about acceptance than success or failure.