Hi! My name is...

Share your experiences learning to live "In the Wild"
AidaC
the middle number please (7): 7

Re: Hi! My name is...

Post by AidaC »

Fantastic! Darin has said that there's a strong group of free believers in Australia and it's wonderful to know that the message of love is spreading. We're glad you're here.
"Smell the aroma of your union with Christ" - Andrew Farley
Pappa

Post by Pappa »

Hey NaomiStar
I am enjoying the journey cause I think it is taking me closer to God and further from religion but do not like the times when doubt creeeps in and mucks it all up. I read a lot of books by Gene Edwards years ago and I think he had a handle on this stuff. If you can get hold of it I would point you towards "Tale of Three Kings". I also wonder what the wider non IC thinks about Rob Bell - he has certainly made me think a lot more than a I have for a while
Thanks for the welcome
NaomiStar

Post by NaomiStar »

Pappa wrote:Hey NaomiStar
I am enjoying the journey cause I think it is taking me closer to God and further from religion but do not like the times when doubt creeeps in and mucks it all up. I read a lot of books by Gene Edwards years ago and I think he had a handle on this stuff. If you can get hold of it I would point you towards "Tale of Three Kings". I also wonder what the wider non IC thinks about Rob Bell - he has certainly made me think a lot more than a I have for a while
Thanks for the welcome
Well, I don't think I've ever heard of Rob Bell but I do remember reading "Tale of Three Kings" many years ago. My husband and I have been alone in this journey for 16 years and 4 years ago we finally left the IC for good. I have not read much about this subject at all. I just came across some books and this website a few months ago; so I'm not even sure what other people are out there sharing this message of true grace.
Enjoy the forum. There are some great podcasts Darin puts out every week and you are welcome to discuss and share in the podcast threads. That's where I like to write most of the time. :D
He Meets You Where You Are.
AidaC

Post by AidaC »

I came here as did many other members after I found Wayne Jacobsen and The God Journey. A post there led me to read “The God’s Honest Truth” which is the original version of Darin’s book “The Misunderstood God.” Once I found the Free Believers Network, I just stayed since Darin’s teachings have really connected with what was already in my heart.

I have no idea what the other members of this board think about Rob Bell but I love his book, “God Wins.” I’d never read anything by him before and, since I wasn’t reading any Christian teaching books at the time, I really had no desire to read it but I was sent a copy by Radio Roswell. I actually didn’t want to read it and Jeff (Radio) had to almost twist my arm to agree. When I got it, I put it aside for a while and then decided to start it. I figured I could then send it back to him and let him know I had at least started it. Well, the book absolutely grabbed my attention and I knew I had to get my own copy so I downloaded it on my Nook and it’s one of the few books that I’ve actually paid full price to get. I’ve read it two or three times and am in the process of reading it again. It’s such an encouraging book and I like to read it when I feel a bit overwhelmed by what’s going on around me.

I’d recommend it to anyone. Of course, when I posted a quote from the book on a friend’s Facebook page, one of his friends immediately informed me that Rob Bell is a heretic. I don’t know that guy so I’m not sure if he’s still involved in a church group or not but apparently he doesn’t agree with Rob Bell and doesn’t mind letting others know about it. I also have another Nook book that I got for free that has excerpts from his writings but I haven’t started that one yet.

Like Naomi, I love discussing the podcasts and I hope you’ll join us in the Into the Wild forum on this board. Even if you haven’t listened to the podcast, if you have some thoughts regarding that particular topic, please join in. Darin and his co-hosts will readily admit that they don’t know everything about the topics that are discussed. Those podcasts just simply good launching pads for us to start thinking about these things on our own.
radio roswell

Post by radio roswell »

There's a video of Rob Bell at the end of the Explinations vs Answers thread in the Free Believers Central section.

Yeah Aida, sometimes the things waiting to nudge us come in twisting of arms too. 8-)

Welcome pappa.
Every time you speak your mind is on parade.
kandel

Post by kandel »

Hello Everyone,

My name is Kandel (pronounced "candle") & I live in Falcon, CO which is about 8 miles east of Colorado Springs.

I found FBN after reading "The Shack", "He Loves Me" & "So You Don't Want To Go To Church Anymore". One of those books had an advertisment in the back for "The Misunderstood God" & after reading that I wanted to find out more about Darin. My "walk with Christ" up until then consisted of doing the "right" things with the "right" people & not questioning what I was being taught. After 20+ years of doing that, one day I realized it wasn't enough, I still felt empty. There had to be more to this life than what I was experiencing. I still don't feel like I "get it" most of the time, so I continue to learn & search.

Thanks for letting me in on your converstations.
NaomiStar

Post by NaomiStar »

Kandel, welcome to the forum!!!
I'm so excited you've joined. I went to read your profile to learn a little more about you and I saw you are a homeschool mom!!! So cool.
I am too. I've been homeschooling for 17 years and my daughters are in 12th and 10th grade. My husband is overseas and I am raising our daughters what seems like by myself :( None of my homeschool friends understand why I don't go to church.
I have a thread where I share about my heart journey, viewtopic.php?f=10&t=1968
I hope you can share about yours when you're ready.
I've read all the books you've mentioned and I found this forum after reading "The Misunderstood God". I've never joined forums but I have always kept a journal so I decided to use this forum as a sort of journal at this point in my life. So for now, I've substituted this forum for my journal. I try to post like I was writing in my journal.
I hope we can get to know each other more, I would love to know more about your homeschool experiences.
Once again. I'm glad you're here and look forward to getting to know you.
kandel

Post by kandel »

Hi NaomiStar,

Thanks for the welcome. I joined the forum a long time ago - I hadn't realized it has been over 2 years - but couldn't remember my password & ID until last week. I also forgot I even had a profile :-). Yes, I homeschool my youngest who will be 18 next month. This will be his last year. My oldest will be 20 in December, but because he's autistic & functions between a 2 & 4 year old he'll be able to go to school until he's 21. He loves going so it works for us all. Feel free to send me a PM if you'd like
AidaC

Post by AidaC »

Hi kandel. Thanks for sharing a bit about your journey. I’ve read all of those books too and I found out about Darin and the Free Believers Network through a link on The God Journey forum.

I can totally relate to that empty feeling you described since it was a part of my life for many years. I was constantly searching for the next big event that would finally lead me to discover the abundant life. What I didn’t understand is that it was already in me but it was hidden under a pile of religious lies and manipulation. As the lies were removed, one layer at a time, it was very disconcerting at first but now there’s a freedom and joy that I never had before.

Don’t worry about “not getting it.” Just keep living your life and enjoying the journey and some of those missing pieces will eventually fall into place and, if they don’t, somehow it just won’t seem so important anymore.

So . . . Welcome to the forum!
kandel

Post by kandel »

Hi AidaC,

Thanks for the welcome! I apologize for not responding earlier. I didn't see your post until today.
some of those missing pieces will eventually fall into place and, if they don’t, somehow it just won’t seem so important anymore.
That's what I'm hoping (& holding on) for, but most times it just feels like it's all head knowledge. I just want to know that I know. You know? Image
jarjarb

Post by jarjarb »

Hey all,

My name is Jeff. I still have a lot to think through/learn from you guys, but I'm trying to seek God earnestly and truly learn how to live by His grace and not bound by obligations and the institution
AidaC

Post by AidaC »

jarjarb wrote:Hey all,

My name is Jeff. I still have a lot to think through/learn from you guys, but I'm trying to seek God earnestly and truly learn how to live by His grace and not bound by obligations and the institution
I'm glad you're here and we're all still learning the same thing so hopefully we can encourage one another. I've found that this is an exciting journey which lasts a life time and is filled with greater and deeper understanding as we go along. I'm looking forward to getting to know you and hearing more about your journey.

Welcome to the forum!
NaomiStar

Post by NaomiStar »

Hi, so glad you found this forum. I came here thinking I understood the grace of God but the posts I read here and the posts I have posted have been of great help to me. I am learning this is a process (a journey) and I had not even began the wade in the depth's of grace but every day is another opportunity to go deeper and deeper in God's love.

I hope that when you're ready you will share your journey with us. :D
radio roswell

Post by radio roswell »

Hey look another Jeff....now we have three..

Welcome Jeff, I'm Jeff too. 8-)
Every time you speak your mind is on parade.
juke

Re: Hi! My name is..

Post by juke »

Jasmine
I was invited to this forum by none other then dearest Aida. I enjoyed reading some of the posts and from what i can tell, you guys are a bunch of smarties :D I am an iranian/armenian who came to US in 1978 and was introduced to Jesus by a free believer, and that was the main reason i was interested to hear what he had to say, cause i knew whatever he HAD was NOT religion. However, after couple of years got sucked into IC and for the last 30+ years was bascially a miserable christian crying out to God " there must be MORE" :?: . after many years and many tears, God ,with an outstreached arm, brought me out of Egypt. watching Church outside of the walls by Family room media, was the beginning of freedom for me , I felt like God lifting up my head and telling me "Your are my beloved daughter and with you I am well pleased. " I think each of of us at some point of our journey need to ,and will hear Him say those words to us. guess i have come full circle to where i started from.
looking forward to hearing your stories and sharing our journeys together.