Help with Images, Avatars, etc.

Discuss movies, literature, music, healthy living, parenting and all other general subjects.
Ann Onymous
the middle number please (7): 7

Help with Images, Avatars, etc.

Post by Ann Onymous »

I noticed that some of us have a hard time navigating this board, as far as posting images and avatars. (Its ok, I did too!!) This board is a phpBB board, which means it operates in BBCode instead of html. The formulas are about the same, just different coding. I will explain how to upload an image.

FIRST- Your image MUST be uploaded somewhere on the web. Whether it be a photo account (like flickr, photobucket or picasa) or a networking site (like facebook or myspace)

Second- select the image you want to post here. Right click on your mouse and scroll down to the place where it says "Copy link location" select that.

Third- on this board, when posting your message, click the Img tab above the writing area. It will give you the coding that looks like this [ img][ img] (without spaces). Paste the link location you copied in between the two codings. it should look like this:

[ img]"copied link location"[ img]

When you post it, your picture should appear! :)
“But you can’t access God through the intellect, It’s got to be through the heart. It’s been my experience that when you intellectualize the divine, you’re gonna get your a$$ kicked.” - Billy Corgan
Ann Onymous

Re: Help with Images, Avatars, etc.

Post by Ann Onymous »

I'm going to explain how to do quotes here.

In this board, you can quote an entire post when you click the "quote" button. BUT if you just want a specific portion you can do it like this...

Highlight the text you want to quote. Right click and select "copy". When you are ready to post, you can click the [ quote] and paste what you copied in between the two codings. If you would like to say who you are quoting, it looks like this:

[ quote="Ann Onymous" ]

Without spaces it comes out like this:
Ann Onymous wrote: without spaces it comes out like this
you can use the "quote" button to get the beginning and ending codes, and you can alter the beginning code to say who specifically you are quoting.

(did I confuse you yet??? lol!!)
“But you can’t access God through the intellect, It’s got to be through the heart. It’s been my experience that when you intellectualize the divine, you’re gonna get your a$$ kicked.” - Billy Corgan
Ann Onymous

Post by Ann Onymous »

Ok, now for the avatars. You can locate the avatar in the profile area of the User Control Panel.

You can either upload the image from your computer, or you can use a picture on the internet (the same way you do an image...copy the link location)

The image MUST be 90x90. If you are having a hard time getting the pic to the right size you can use either of these sites to resize it.

picresize.com

shrinkpictures.com

Both sites are fairly easy to use.

When you resize your image, you post the url OR pick browse and go to your personal files and upload the image. When you have that in place, click submit, and you should have an avatar!
Ann Onymous

Post by Ann Onymous »

If you have any questions about these things, feel free to post here, or send me a PM.
Ann Onymous

Post by Ann Onymous »

Hey Martha,

I don't know any other way to download those messages. That is a question for Site Admin. I only have admin powers here on the board. I know some others have had problems with it as well. If you would like, I have the grace series downloaded, you can send me an email and I can send you the ones you didn't get.
CHeatherS
the middle number please (7): 9

Post by CHeatherS »

Martha, some of the rest of us where having that problem too. I think that it was because we were trying to copy more than one at a time. We found that if you just copied one at a time, that solved the problem.

GREAT messages, worth the effort.

Love
Heather
AidaC

Post by AidaC »

Martha, I'm still having the same problem and I only download one at a time. When that happens, I just delete it and do it over again. Sometimes I have to do it two or three times before it finally takes but it does eventually. It's a bit of an aggravation but, like Heather, I feel the phenomenal messages are well worth the extra effort. Once I got used to the system, it's no big deal any more.
"Smell the aroma of your union with Christ" - Andrew Farley
AidaC

Post by AidaC »

Ann, I'm trying to post an image and I'm using photobucket. When I scroll down, there's no place that says "Copy link location" so it doesn't work.
marie

Post by marie »

Aida,
I had that problem geting an image from flickr once. I didn't have the "copy link location" on the right click. But I found that there is (and hopefuly for you too) an option called "properties" which has the necessary info on it you can copy & paste into your post. It looks a little different and longer than what you would see as an url. Hope that helps.
Marie
Ann Onymous

Post by Ann Onymous »

Thanks marie. I don't use photobucket, I usually use my myspace acct for picture urls. I found this on yahoo answers, maybe it helps? insert images answers
AidaC

Post by AidaC »

Marie and Ann, I found the option called "properties" and I got it to work. Thanks for your help.
Love Starbucks

Post by Love Starbucks »

I'm trying to change my avatar and get a fatal error message. My image is about 4 kb.
- "When you give up the ability to decide for yourself, you give up what makes you you." (tv ad)
Ann Onymous

Post by Ann Onymous »

I am too. I tried it. I'm going to contact the webmaster tomorrow.
CHeatherS

Post by CHeatherS »

If you ladies need some help fighting spam, let me know.

Heather
Love Starbucks

Post by Love Starbucks »

this has been going on for awhile but I thought I'd try it again today. Thank you, Ann.
- "When you give up the ability to decide for yourself, you give up what makes you you." (tv ad)