Sign Language Class

Discuss movies, literature, music, healthy living, parenting and all other general subjects.
Bull of the Woods

Sign Language Class

Post by Bull of the Woods »

Our youngest grandchild, James, was born July 23 2013. So he is still a little fellow. He was born totally deaf. He and his parents are getting a lot of help. He has a weekly speech therapist, a weekly physical therapist, (the idea being that the better his motor skills the quicker he can learn signing), a good hospital not too far away that specializes in hearing issues. His parents, (our oldest son and his wife), are taking signing classes.
My wife and I started a class just yesterday evening. We want to do everything we can to be sure we can communicate with our grandson.

The class we are in is held at a baptist church. Its kind of half class, half "club". Its not a whole lot of people, but there is a 42 year old deaf man, his parents, and three or so other deaf persons, and about the same number of folks there to learn.
So the parents and the deaf people know signing, and of course the teacher does. So its kind of a club in that while there is a teacher, the deaf people and people who know signing well are as much there to just be a help and encourager to us to learn, and we socialize as we learn. So its structured in that we have to learn basics, and go through "lessons" of sorts, but informal "chit chat" is mixed in there a lot and we are learning more than cut and dry signing. Nuances and stuff.

The best part is its free. This church seems to have a relatively large number of deaf people in it. I guess somehow their openess and eagerness to welcome and learn two decades or so ago got around by word of mouth and people come from some distance.

I think it should be a good experience. My wife's sister is going as well, as she has always been a really good aunt to our children and feels the same way as us in desiring to be close to all our grandchildren.
Bull of the Woods

Re: Sign Language Class

Post by Bull of the Woods »

Signing class is cool.
It has occured to me that in addition to the main purpose of being able to communicate with our grandson, I think it is probably good for my brain. Sort of mental exercise. This week we went into signs for whole words.
One can spell any word with the manual signing alphabet, but for the most part the more signs for complete words and groups of words the better. At least if communicating with someone who also has that in their vocabulary.
The people there are friendly and we encourage one another.
There is a 33 year old mother of a couple small children in our class. She is a police officer and go interested in learning to sign after going on a domestic incident call to come face to face with a young woman who was in the act of attempting suicide. When she got to the scene she found the woman could only sign, and was frantically. Unfortunately this police woman had no idea and it took a long time to get someone with her who could converse. So now she is trying to learn the language.

Its also cool to think that if more and more in my family learn to sign, we can commuicate without yelling at each other when out of doors. For instance we could be a couple hundred feet from another at the beach and communicate something without having to either scream or run over to speak. That seems like a good thing.
ianstephenson
the middle number please (7): 7

Post by ianstephenson »

Last edited by ianstephenson on Fri Mar 10, 2017 7:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
AidaC
the middle number please (7): 7

Re: Sign Language Class

Post by AidaC »

We so easily fall into the status quo but it's always good to learn something new especially when it challenges the brain cells. I'm glad you and your family are able to enjoy this new adventure together as a family.
"Smell the aroma of your union with Christ" - Andrew Farley