Diet and a healthy lifestyle

Discuss movies, literature, music, healthy living, parenting and all other general subjects.
AidaC
the middle number please (7): 7

Diet and a healthy lifestyle

Post by AidaC »

ianstephenson wrote:There is a paradigm change occurring in the area of diet and I think people are finally realising that the standard food pyramid model of eating just does not work for many. Skyrocketing obesity rates, including for the first time significant numbers of children, massive increases in the incidence of type 2 diabetes and a whole bunch of auto-immune diseases.

Personally, during the last year, I have totally changed my diet and moved away from eating grains, sugar, vegetable oils and products such as margarine, soy products, starchy vegetables and dispensed with as much pre-packaged food as is practically possible. Anything that is labelled low fat, light / lite, etc is no longer an option as they are usually loaded with additional sugar. What is on the menu are foods such as piles of veges, coconut and olive oil including fats like butter from grass-fed cows, eggs, cheese and a range of different meats. 2 years ago I was a vegetarian and prior to that trialled veganism for a year. I could not maintain a healthy weight, had significant lower back pain and niggling and persistent health issues with the standard diet or vegetarian / vegan diet. Everyone is different and although much has improved I am still trying to monitor and revise what works and what doesn't.

Here is a list of some of the books that I've found helpful:
Grain Brain
Wheat Belly
Death by Food Pyramid
The Coconut Ketogenic Diet
Ketone Power
The Art and Science of Low Carbohydrate Living
Cholesterol Clarity
Escape the Diet Trap
Ignore the Awkard: How the Cholesterol Myths are Kept Alive
The Paleo Approach: Reverse Auto immune Disease, Heal Your Body
The Virgin Diet
Why Wet Get Fat: And What to Do About It
"Smell the aroma of your union with Christ" - Andrew Farley
radio roswell

Re: Diet and a healthy lifestyle

Post by radio roswell »

Well...here goes and some may find it as odd as I did but......it's working. I am no scientist or health expert...this is just pure experience of the last seven months..

For about 6 years now I have needed to drop about 40-50 lbs. my cholesterol and BP have been creeping up steadily over the past decade. I really felt tired and basically run down...blah blah..the usual suspects. I have tried basically every trend of no carbs to few carbs , high protein, working out a lot..etc. ,Now these all have had an effect to loss. But they didn't seem address the real issue of convincing the body to use the extra stored fat as a reasonable lifestyle.

As of July 1st....I am a cool 196. Time is on your side when you get in shape. Use It !

To me this is the point of getting healthy. And everyone has an opinion on it. Wow ...it's as bad as fundamentalism too. Finally at Christmas of last year..sporting 225 and looking forward to another mediocre attempt that would leave me frustrated again...I went to my meditation time to contemplate what it was REALLY going to take this time. Something that was going to work for me.

Some things were obvious...I don't have mass amounts of time to work out long hours. I like to bike but even that requires a good hour. That was going to be tough with my kids and house demands. Also I'm not about to give up my steaks and beer and occasional good tasting rewards of eating. Good food and interacting over a meal is as old as primal community. Why bother making good at all if it wasn't meant to enjoyed.I'll explain that later because it's very important to reward.

So what do I have going for me,,?,.well...two components that are very important. I work hard and rest hard. Now that may seem like not a big deal...but to the body....they are. And I used THEM as the very priority of tools needed. Leaving the food a close second.

Everyone has a plan to lose weight. Some folks get so radical about it too. They cut all this out or that. They go totally Caveman diet of just meat and a few veggies or they restrict calories so much they look miserable and feel awful. Some won't ever eat ice cream or cake again...or see a favorite fast food place and swear it off for life..and I have to ask......why ?

Think about this. You crave a giant plate of pasta . Or a cheese burger ? Or fries ? Now, I know and everyone else does too that this is not the best food for initiating fat loss. We already know that. We don't need a diet expert or book to tell us that. So it's knowledge we already have. But what we really need is knowledge of why we want to consume it three to five times a week or even seven. THAT is what will help us. So stay with me on that. Think about it. I did for a while.

Yeah , we all know that food shouldn't be a staple or even consumed often...but what happens when you deny to that degree of a radical plan ? I think I got secretly bitter...until it burst and I binged on that stuff. Then felt really bad.

Ever watch skinny people gorge on cinnamon buns and you like eating your cheeseless egg white only omelette and thinking what the hell? Yeah....well...they don't have the fat reserves I do. Different body..so different plan ! Good for them. One day that will be me too ! But I have different principals at work. So DON'T compare the two. Apples and oranges..better yet..apples and hot hogs.. 8-)

It's not entirely the food.....per say. It's the attitude towards our own sense of getting to where we want to be. Change the attitude, enhance the grace needed to our bodies , realize we did this to ourselves for whatever reason and move on. Don't punish it further by absolute denial or unrealistic withdrawal. Instead..I decided that there has to be a component that caused the actual storage of unused fat in the first place.

A very overlooked component on my part.
And again.....I work very hard..so it wasn't because I sat around. Part two coming up. I have to explain this carefully. 8-)
Every time you speak your mind is on parade.
Bull of the Woods

Post by Bull of the Woods »

What I miss is the "old days". From say my early thirties to late forties. I could just kind of remark to myself I need to drop ten pounds and would within a month at most. Unconciously just not saying yes to quite so many helpings or little extras. Not even really thinking about it. And maybe playing a few more games of B-Ball with the kids.
Now, I could go 30 days consuming 600 calories a day and gain weight!
AidaC

Post by AidaC »

Bull of the Woods wrote:What I miss is the "old days". From say my early thirties to late forties. I could just kind of remark to myself I need to drop ten pounds and would within a month at most. Unconciously just not saying yes to quite so many helpings or little extras. Not even really thinking about it. And maybe playing a few more games of B-Ball with the kids.
Now, I could go 30 days consuming 600 calories a day and gain weight!
I’ve been there too, Jeff, so I understand. Our bodies change and, as we add a few years along with a few pounds, our eating habits have to also change.

A number of years ago, my weight was moving up, up, up until I was about 40 pounds overweight and climbing. I tried several weight loss methods including a nationally known method called TOPS. Unfortunately, it was too loosey goosey for me and I could never make it worked. Apparently, I wasn’t the only one since our group leader wasn’t successful either. Anyway, I finally quit that and pretty much decided to just give up when I found out about Weight Watchers and I knew I had found a system that I could work.

I’ve been on Weight Watchers now for over 5 years and I love it. It took me about 2 years to lose the extra weight but during that time, I learned valuable lessons that have helped me to keep it off. I had one off period where I re-gained 15 pounds but, once I made the decision to get back on the program, I lost it within a couple of months and have held my weight. Earlier this year, we went to Disney World and I gained 2 pounds but I got them off in a couple of weeks by immediately getting back on the Weight Watchers program when I got home.

The points system that they’ve developed is simple to follow and no foods are off limit so I can eat whatever I want. Of course, now I’m more conscious of portion sizes and am satisfied with a lot less. I also no longer eat a lot of the foods that I once ate. Instead I’m now more inclined to eat fruit and vegetables and whole grains rather than less healthy foods.

I love that Weight Watchers encourages a total healthy lifestyle which includes making healthier eating choices but also encourages a more active lifestyle. Because of WW, I joined a health and fitness center which is part of the hospital system where I serve as a volunteer. I’m a regular there participating in a number of the classes as well as working out on the various machines. Since I joined, I’ve also participated in four 5K races (some running, mostly walking). This has all been a major change for someone who prior to joining had been a confirmed couch potato.

I’m so excited about fitness that I started volunteering at the fitness center several months ago in a program for clients who have completed rehab but aren’t ready to go out onto to floor and work on the regular machines. We help them develop a modified exercise program that strengthens them and enables them to live an improved lifestyle.

Joining Weight Watchers has been a major lifestyle change for me. I love the program and I’m thankful for it. Here’s the link to the website if anyone is interested in knowing more about the program.

http://www.weightwatchers.com/templates ... id=1425930
radio roswell wrote:Part two coming up. I have to explain this carefully. 8-)
Looking forward to hearing part 2.
AidaC

Post by AidaC »

One of my most exciting moments was when I looked in the mirror and I could actually see space between my thighs. Image
radio roswell

Post by radio roswell »

AidaC wrote:One of my most exciting moments was when I looked in the mirror and I could actually see space between my thighs. Image

Oh my ... :lol:

Mine was breaking that 200 barrier.

A quick word about rapid weight gains of several pounds. When you eat a lot of sugary carbs and sodium in foods say when you go on vacations it's water weight due to these foods hold far more water.

This is why when folks go off carbs they initially think they are loosing several pounds right away...technically it's not fat but water. The same happens with weekend foods as I call them.

In other words..

Never weigh yourself on Monday....:lol:

One weekend a few weeks ago I gained 5 lbs. Now do you think I really ingested 20000 calories over my diet in two days ? No..of course not. But ....I did eat some breads and piña colodas ...some beers...pizza...a few small desserts...

Within the next few days it all fell off. That's because from the way I understand it...glycogen holds water in your muscle when you eat those particular goods before energy is expended through them. So although I stayed within 1800-2200 calories..they foods were starchy.

Once I returned to a normal routine..in about three days all the weight flushed out. Now it didn't help the loss area...but it didn't really set me back in a short period of time either.
SarahDoyle

Post by SarahDoyle »

I have read some of books you have mentioned but i did not lose much weight as i thought i will :(
AidaC

Post by AidaC »

Sarah, here’s the link to a thread I started about a Nook book that you might find helpful. It was free at that time and I understand it was also free on the Kindle but that might have changed so, if you decide to download it, check the price first.

I just started reading it and am really enjoying it.

viewtopic.php?f=12&t=2274
radio roswell wrote:

Oh my ... :lol:

Mine was breaking that 200 barrier.

A quick word about rapid weight gains of several pounds. When you eat a lot of sugary carbs and sodium in foods say when you go on vacations it's water weight due to these foods hold far more water.

This is why when folks go off carbs they initially think they are loosing several pounds right away...technically it's not fat but water. The same happens with weekend foods as I call them.

In other words..

Never weigh yourself on Monday....:lol:

One weekend a few weeks ago I gained 5 lbs. Now do you think I really ingested 20000 calories over my diet in two days ? No..of course not. But ....I did eat some breads and piña colodas ...some beers...pizza...a few small desserts...

Within the next few days it all fell off. That's because from the way I understand it...glycogen holds water in your muscle when you eat those particular goods before energy is expended through them. So although I stayed within 1800-2200 calories..they foods were starchy.

Once I returned to a normal routine..in about three days all the weight flushed out. Now it didn't help the loss area...but it didn't really set me back in a short period of time either.

Jeff, thanks for sharing that. Weekends and vacations are tougher because our normal routine is different and we tend to relax our eating habits more.

One thing that has helped me is to eat less but to eat more frequently. Weight Watchers and a friend who’s a personal fitness trainer both recommend eating every 3 hours in order to keep our metabolism functioning well. Longer gaps tend to slow our metabolism down but in order to lose weight and maintain the loss, we need to keep our metabolism functioning efficiently and that’s accomplished through eating more frequently.
radio roswell

Post by radio roswell »

I actually believe the opposite... ;)

Well for me anyway.

I fasted far more than ever before. I usually fast for the week at 16 hour intervals. Eat in an 8 hour window. Somedays I do a 24 hour fast.

Now on weekends my fasting can go even longer but my meals are larger.

Anyway...like I said...weight loss and fitness can get just like religious belief when concerning fat burning methods and foods so I tend to just stick to what worked for me .I get into trouble with regular fitness folks for not eating breakfast and fasting periods. They think my metabolism should be stopped by now....it hasn't..... 8-) in fact I find I need less food then ever before.

But I feel far better and my BP and and sleep patterns are better. But I want to stress....it wasn't focusing on fitness and weight loss that caused me to do this.

It was becoming whole spiritually.

I believe that my weight gain had to do with being lost and unhappy. Eating unconsciously into bad patterns of thinking I was eating for my body and not my mind. There is so much info out there about nutrition and fitness but very very little on being a whole person . When you feel whole you see food as it was intended. Enjoyable. Not an appeasing activity to keep my unhappiness at bay.. Same with fitness.

I ride my bike and do push ups...because it feels good to move. I do challenge myself yo do more but when I can't I realize it's not intended to be. Playing in the back yard with my kids...throwing the football around with neighbors. Doing some swimming. It's all good.

Anyway...I don't want to bog down the forum with my rants on this...peace, and find what works for you !
ianstephenson

Post by ianstephenson »

Last edited by ianstephenson on Fri Mar 10, 2017 7:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
radio roswell

Post by radio roswell »

Today is a fasting day for me. Usually Tuesdays and Thursdays. Coffee and green tea with stevia and water with lemon. I look forward to these days because my thoughts are very clear and I have renewed energy.

Tonight I will end it with a mozzarella salad with cucumbers and tomatoes from the neighbors garden.

The carb debate is a strange one. I think we all know that refined sugar and starches are not the healthiest things in the world. But refined carbs are also calorie dense too. So many times in reducing them we are reducing calorie intake too. This is a big argument for the cal in/ cal out crowd.

Here's a big component that no one seems to address. I seem to be always getting nutritional advice from my neighbor ( whether I want it or not ;) )who is super lean. I mean hardcore bodybuilding. Now....the problem with this picture is the old.."well how do you think they got so rich idea mentality.." And I can't really compete with them in conversation because they have a " nutritional degree and fitness instructor". So much like I'm not a pastor...therefore my advice isn't legitimate.

But people can't deny the results...they see me shrinking... ;) and I keep quiet !

But here's the thing....they have never been overweight a day in their lives. In otherwords...taking advice from a 10% body fat person with no idea of being at the other end of the BMI scale is kind of hard to do.the strategies may seem similar...but IMO they are not.

If I am trying to convince my body to use up the fat store reserves and not add any extra...that is a completely different set of rules to the thermodynamics of fat burning as I explained in an earlier post. I really can't eat whatever I want at this point. And that's the denial part, the sacrifice. If it isn't included in the plan then I'm spinning my wheels and thinking that this thing should be easier. And the answer is always no. It's not supposed to be easy.

This is a crisis of sorts. I did this to my body and now I must change it. I am responsible. It's going to take work.i don't mean hard workouts either...but certain acts of denial and change. I can't eat a stack of waffles with maple syrup right now. Nor can I eat a cheese burger with onion rings downed with a nice big Fosters....it would be wonderful...but I can't.

Because I have to get back to my healthy weight of 170. And I will. But it's going yo take patience and persistence and an awareness of everything I let pass my mouth. ;) yeah...sometimes it's a drag. And sometimes on weekends. Like say a Saturday..I do let myself have some Pie, fried chicken...or burger...or my favorite...Ice Cream Sandwhiches.

But now....I just eat one. Kill the craving...and move on. But remember that carbs of this kind do bloat for a few days.

I played tennis last night and then had a roasted chicken salad with some red wine. It was really nice.

Anyway...I promised not to rant but I'm not getting much traction on the other subjects so???? Hey..I'll hang with this if anyone is interested.

There are good websites and books on the actual science of this so let me know. And great job to all who are trying to change their temple. :lol: it's quite the challenge....peace.
radio roswell

Post by radio roswell »

Perfect example today ...I was up at the pool and someone came up to me and said...hey aren't you on some crazy diet that lost you weight ? I laughed...I well I guess intermittent fasting is crazy huh? Imagine skipping a meal a few times a week....?

I think it's funny how I'm mow the crazy diet guy along with the other identity as the nutty spiritual dude..... :lol:

Oh geez..
ianstephenson

Post by ianstephenson »

Last edited by ianstephenson on Fri Mar 10, 2017 7:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
AidaC

Post by AidaC »

Jeff, I’m glad you’ve found a method that’s working for you. We’re all different and we have to find the method that works best for us otherwise we won’t stick it out.
radio roswell wrote: But I want to stress....it wasn't focusing on fitness and weight loss that caused me to do this.

It was becoming whole spiritually.
Spiritual wholeness affects every part of who we are so that’s definitely a good goal and motivator. I believe we all need to have a healthier outlook regarding food. We can also get too far on the other side and become a "health nut" and that’s not good either. Food is basically body fuel but instead it’s become a substitute for other areas of our lives where we feel a need. In Weight Watchers, we call those substitutes "comfort foods." I have to be careful about intellectual boredom because when I get bored intellectually, I look to food to fill that need.
radio roswell wrote: But here's the thing....they have never been overweight a day in their lives. In otherwords...taking advice from a 10% body fat person with no idea of being at the other end of the BMI scale is kind of hard to do.the strategies may seem similar...but IMO they are not.
That’s a good point. Someone who has never experienced the struggle really can’t relate. I’ve found that the best "experts" are the ones who have been there and have succeeded in overcoming.

I’m now at the maintenance stage and I’ve been there for almost 4 years. I’ve had to be really careful about limiting carbs. I was limiting them too much and continued to lose weight when I was supposed to be maintaining. I finally figured out I was limiting carbs too much. Now, I’ve added more carbs and am maintaining just fine.

When I was at the weight loss stage, it helped me to understand that I wasn’t on a diet. Instead I was making a lifestyle change that would stay with me for the rest of my life. Understanding that has helped me to not revert to the unhealthy patterns I had before. I’m still learning and changing which I find exciting. When I learn something new that I can incorporate, I get excited because each new victory keeps me motivated and moving forward.

Ian, I agree. I believe a large part of our problems has to do with our natural foods having been tampered with. Genetically tampering with foods and altering their chemical makeup just can’t be safe.
radio roswell

Post by radio roswell »

ianstephenson wrote:It's not all bad. You're the crazy, nutty, diet, spiritual guy who plays a mean guitar!
Thanks Ian..!