Diet and a healthy lifestyle

Discuss movies, literature, music, healthy living, parenting and all other general subjects.
Bull of the Woods

Re: Diet and a healthy lifestyle

Post by Bull of the Woods »

I have over the course of the last two or weeks dropped ten pounds. But I am somewhow not being real serious about diet or anything. I think I cut back a little on the size of helpings. Not too much.
And I have been working around our farm pretty hard as it is summer. So I am working in the garden a lot, weed whacking and mowing, and splitting a lot of firewood by hand. Stuff like that. And I have been running a bit late in the evening. Not far. Just around the perimeter of our pasture which is about 8 acres or so. Its got some quite good hills so it is a workout for a 60 year old anyway.
radio roswell
the middle number please (7): 7

Post by radio roswell »

It doesn't take much hard to moderate activity over a period of a several hours to deplete glycogen stores drastically from muscle and liver if food quantity is reduced significantly.Which is why IF ( intermittent fasting) works so well. When you do heavy work it causes a strain on these stores and then has to look for reserves... I.E. Fat stores. Sometimes people lift weights or run or hard cardio at first and see weight gain. This is because water is used to repair torn tissue which is how muscle is built.

IF is a good source of detox too for sluggish liver and kidney function. Many preservatives, toxins from the air and chemicals etc.
When I say IF it means short periods of fasting. Most of the time I do 16 hour windows two to three times a week. Say like 7 pm sleep get up and then eat at 1 pm. Two meals. Sometimes I can do a 24 hour fast. 7 pm to 7 pm. At first it was hard but then got much easier as I didn't need as much food. I simply was eating far too much and don't even realize it. After 7 years of this I put on 45 lbs. ridiculous. And what's weird is I just let it go.why? I really don't know.

But now that's changed. 8-)

Sugar can cause high spikes but overeating at a meal or days and weeks of it causes huge spikes of insulin for long periods. Thus we never tap into reserves and then build them up into fatty tissue and after a while insulin sensitivity kicks in and worst diabetes takes over.

Portion control is very effective as well for insulin insensitivity and fat loss. But sometimes folks will see a drop off after a several weeks like I did. I was doing everything I thought was right but still won't budge the measuring tape or scale. Incedently the Measuring tape around the mid section just under the belly button is by far a better indication of actual fat loss.

Some people like myself got so restrictive that leptin levels drop. Signaling the body that they may never eat carbs again.this is why sometimes after eating spaghetti and a desert with some wine after a period of strict fasting low carb high protein all of a sudden my body is convinced and let's go of a bunch of water. They call this the swoosh.i have lost 3 to 4 lbs sometimes after this overnight visiting the bathroom often . ;) But in reality the weight wasn't fat gained or lost. Just water.

Just like when you eat a weekend banquet of higher fatty , sugary food intake. Never weigh on Monday. :o

This is why trusting the scale is not always right.

There are many articles and studies on this. I can't wait to lose the next 20 to 25 lbs and be on maintenance.
Every time you speak your mind is on parade.
Need2bMe

Post by Need2bMe »

For me? I've been purchasing more and more of what I think are healthy foods. My cholesterol has always been good even though I eat what are high cholesterol foods. For much of the time, I stay away from most refined sugar products. For years I've been using a pedometer with a goal of 10,000 steps per day and had mostly reached that goal and often surpassed it. My older daughter recently introduced me to something similar called the Vivofit - a fitness tracker/monitor. For those of you who are unfamiliar, it's a wristband which keeps track of steps walked, calories burned, and miles walked. It's used with a companion app which I have for my iPhone. I also use a secondary app, called My Fitness Pal that works with the first. With that one, I input the foods I am eating and it tells you the calories, fats, and other nutritional information per serving. I don't make this a "religion;" I often don't measure but guess at the portion size. For the foods not listed, it allows you to scan the bar code from packages for nutritional content. Easy.

Since it is a free app I thought it would be interesting just to see how much I actually ate per day. It only took me until my first meal when I discovered Whoa! Holy calories! :o I inputted how much weight I'd like to lose per week. I put in .5 lb. I thought that would be realistic and I (hopefully) wouldn't feel deprived. Well, this little gadget not only tells you how many calories I am consuming but working with the Vivofit which I sync with the Vivofit app, it also shows me that because I walked x amount of steps, I burned x amount of calories and therefor, can eat x (and it shows me how many) amount of additional calories and still reach my goal.

Since it's summer here in good ole' New England, I am walking more. The more I walk, the more I can consume. BUT, I find myself not usually eating all my calories for the day and I've lost 4.75 lbs. since using this thing, and while that doesn't sound like a lot, I've far exceeded my goal of .5 lb per week. I started this on August 21 and today is Sept. 4th so that's what? Two weeks today.

I think this thing is a great motivator.
“Christians have their own Jihads - holy wars. Instead though of killing people physically, they kill them with their words, with their rejection, with their hatred, with their hypocrisy. All in the name of what? Religion?” - ek
AidaC

Post by AidaC »

I love my pedometer. I put it on as soon as I wake up and I don't take it off until I go to bed. I tend to be goal oriented so I find it exciting to see my steps increasing. One of my best experiences was at Disney World in February when each day I tallied over 20,000 steps. Apparently it was a fun one time experience since I haven’t tallied that many steps since.

The My Fitness Pal app sounds similar to the Weight Watchers app I have on my cell phone. It really is a great help as well as a great motivator. I’ve found that losing weight is the easy part. Maintaining the weight loss is much more difficult but it sounds like you're doing well and have discovered a plan that will work well for your weight maintenance.
"Smell the aroma of your union with Christ" - Andrew Farley
Need2bMe

Post by Need2bMe »

AidaC wrote:Maintaining the weight loss is much more difficult but it sounds like you're doing well and have discovered a plan that will work well for your weight maintenance.
Maintaining? I'm nowhere ready for that! :o But ya, I hear what you're saying. I've struggled with that in the past. After I started going to church is when I struggled with weight gain - the potlucks and such. ;) and then gaining weight? Well, it became something I was practiced at. I'm still losing now though. :D I've been doing the Vivofit steps challenges; It's been easy - sort of- because the weather has allowed for walking outdoors for the most part. The weather is getting quite a bit colder now though at about 48 degrees this morning. It's much less of a struggle when I don't have to put layers of clothing on. I think my Boston Terrier is enjoying the walks.
“Christians have their own Jihads - holy wars. Instead though of killing people physically, they kill them with their words, with their rejection, with their hatred, with their hypocrisy. All in the name of what? Religion?” - ek
radio roswell

Post by radio roswell »

Welcome to the forum Need2be me. I'm Jeff too as well as bull. So we stick to our avatars. 8-)

I find summer a bit tougher to keep losing because I drink more beer and margaritas and more Bbq's. But not too much damage down this summer.looking forward to fall and biking again. You really can't bike here in summer ( Georgia) way too humid and hot.
Every time you speak your mind is on parade.
Bull of the Woods

I always lose weight in the summer. I eat pretty much then too. But I am splitting firewood a lot, mowing and weed whacking a lot, planting things, picking beans, tomatoes, peppers, corn, squash, etc. Weeding.
Shooting some hoops with my kids, though now we are down to only one at home. Transplanting lots of shrubbery. The stereotype of wives making their husbands constantly rearrange the furniture? My wife doesn't do that. She is constantly asking me to move large bushes and moderate size trees from one place to another. Or buying new ones. We have been doing a renovation of our barn. Fence mending. Lots of stuff.

I tend to pick up weight in the winter. With the sun setting so early, other than moving firewood up to the house every couple days to burn, and maybe painting some room or cabinet or something, I mostly do a lot of reading in front of the woodstove. I like both times of the year and enjoy it all. I do hike at least once a week for some significant time in the winter. Sunday afternoon or something like that for a couple hours. No ticks then, and its refreshing and you can see a greater distance with the leaves gone.
Need2bMe

Post by Need2bMe »

radio roswell wrote:Welcome to the forum Need2be me. I'm Jeff too as well as bull. So we stick to our avatars. 8-)

I find summer a bit tougher to keep losing because I drink more beer and margaritas and more Bbq's. But not too much damage down this summer.looking forward to fall and biking again. You really can't bike here in summer ( Georgia) way too humid and hot.
Thank you for the welcome.

It gets quite humid in New England as well - just not as many hot days this summer. It's been more mild this year which makes for better walking. I love summer! Our winters last about 6 months. We actually have two seasons here in NE - Winter and Construction. :lol:

Bull, what is the People's Republic of Maryland? I know only of the State of Maryland by DC.
AidaC

Post by AidaC »

Since I work in a public school, I’m off during the summers so summers are definitely harder for me too. When I work, I take my lunch as well as some healthy snacks. (Sliced apples are one of my favorites.) However, when I’m home, McDonald’s calls my name much too often.

Because of what I’ve learned with Weight Watchers, it’s easy for me to re-adjust and get back to a healthier eating pattern when I get off track. I no longer rigidly count points like I used to when I was in the weight losing stage but I’m always still aware of portions and how many points are involved. I set a limit and, if what I want to eat exceeds that limit, I usually pass it up.

I never was one to read the nutritional information but now I automatically look at calories, fats, fiber, etc. in order to determine if I really want to eat the stuff.

Although I love to walk, I’m not an outdoorsy person so I really don’t like walking for the sake of walking. I love to walk when I’m going somewhere but I just can’t motivate myself to walk just for the sake of walking. I love the fitness center where I’m a member and I go there as often as I can so cold or rainy weather isn’t an excuse for me which is good because I’d probably would use it often. :lol:
"Smell the aroma of your union with Christ" - Andrew Farley
Bull of the Woods

Need2bMe wrote:
radio roswell wrote:Welcome to the forum Need2be me. I'm Jeff too as well as bull. So we stick to our avatars. 8-)

Thank you for the welcome.

It gets quite humid in New England as well - just not as many hot days this summer. It's been more mild this year which makes for better walking. I love summer! Our winters last about 6 months. We actually have two seasons here in NE - Winter and Construction. :lol:

Bull, what is the People's Republic of Maryland? I know only of the State of Maryland by DC.
Because of the proximity to Washington DC and for other reasons, the politics of the state are extremely dominated by the democratic party. I am not affiliated with either party and tend to approach every issue independently of other issues. Meaning I can appear liberal on some issues and conservative on others and moderate on some.
The People's Republic of Maryland points to the fact that many of the political leaders view themselves as representatives of a benevelont government that pretty much owns everything and is our (the people and businesses) caretakers and directors. Its the kind of state title that a communist government would give itself.
Need2bMe

Post by Need2bMe »

Bull: you said: "The People's Republic of Maryland points to the fact that many of the political leaders view themselves as representatives of a benevolent government that pretty much owns everything and is our (the people and businesses) caretakers and directors. Its the kind of state title that a communist government would give itself."

Then are you being sarcastic?
Bull of the Woods

Yes. I am. I am relatively sarcastic often.
I am not big on most of the politicans of our state.
Need2bMe

Post by Need2bMe »

Bull of the Woods wrote: I am not big on most of the politicians of our state.
The same can be said for our state and others.
Bull of the Woods

True. I am really not very political though. I have an opinion on specific issues like anyone. Mostly not very informed, like most opinions.
Beyond voting when its time, I don't do anything actively.
I probably haven't earned the right to complain about them, but I don't think that is supposed to be a right we have to earn.