Bob is sincere

Discuss all things of Faith, Theology and being a Free Believer...
Noblemen
the middle number please (7): 7

Bob is sincere

Post by Noblemen »

Bob is so sincere I just want to keep sharing with everyone. Maybe someone will come in to this room and be touched by Bob.

It’s unfortunate that many in the Body of Christ believe that a Christian should never be depressed. This Is a lie from the pit of hell and must be exposed as such.

Reality clearly shows that Christians do suffer depression. Some have it a very extreme. (I am one of them, who had depression for over three .) It’s necessary for Christians to know the proper way to minister God’s love to their hurting brethren. This is why I’ve written this blog.

One does not wake up one day and have depression. One grows into depression (often over a long period of time). One, then, needs to grow out of depression. The deep pain one experiences needs to be handled gently and with care. Being sensitive and compassionate is a must for proper care and handling.

One suffering depression is very fragile and can easily crack. There are certain things not to say to a Christian suffering depression. It’s vital to know these and to avoid using them.

Here are a few words spoken from a Christian suffering depression.:

– I don’t need to keep hearing Romans 8: 28 quoted to me.

– I know God will be glorified through this, but I need help NOW.

– I need help to function TODAY.

– I need support, understanding, and prayer from my brethren.

– I don’t need condemning or insensitive remarks from my brethren.

– Since my mental state is very weak, that’s why I need the prayer, support, and understanding.

– I don’t need condemning and insensitive comments.

– Our hearts are hurting and deeply broken. They need time to heal.

– We don’t need comments in the Christian lingo that leave us feeling more ashamed, guilty, or condemned.

(This includes words like Where’s your faith? Get over it. You need to pray more. You need to read your Bible more. What’s your secret sin? What’s wrong with you? Snap out of it. Rebuke the devil.)

These type of comments can be helpful in the right context. However, when ministering to Christians suffering depression, they are definitely the wrong context.

When ministering, you don’t want to become like Job’s friends. They eventually condemned Job as the cause of the death of his ten children, his business failures, and his sicknesses.

Instead, you want to share the love of Jesus with them. Ways to shate can include a loving arm, a hug, a shoulder to cry on, zipped lips, a prayer, and being there without a word being said.

Remember that it’s CHRIST IN YOU doing His work through you to reach those suffering depression. Rest in His love and be heart-sensitive to those suffering around you.

Jesus wants to touch many broken hearts through you. Focus on CHRIST IN YOU. Let the Light and Love of CHRIST IN YOU shine forth to a hurting, sin-sick world.
Jac

Re: Bob is sincere

Post by Jac »

Noblemen wrote:Bob is so sincere I just want to keep sharing with everyone. Maybe someone will come in to this room and be touched by Bob.

It’s unfortunate that many in the Body of Christ believe that a Christian should never be depressed. This Is a lie from the pit of hell and must be exposed as such.

Reality clearly shows that Christians do suffer depression. Some have it a very extreme. (I am one of them, who had depression for over three .) It’s necessary for Christians to know the proper way to minister God’s love to their hurting brethren. This is why I’ve written this blog.

One does not wake up one day and have depression. One grows into depression (often over a long period of time). One, then, needs to grow out of depression. The deep pain one experiences needs to be handled gently and with care. Being sensitive and compassionate is a must for proper care and handling.

One suffering depression is very fragile and can easily crack. There are certain things not to say to a Christian suffering depression. It’s vital to know these and to avoid using them.

Here are a few words spoken from a Christian suffering depression.:

– I don’t need to keep hearing Romans 8: 28 quoted to me.

– I know God will be glorified through this, but I need help NOW.

– I need help to function TODAY.

– I need support, understanding, and prayer from my brethren.

– I don’t need condemning or insensitive remarks from my brethren.

– Since my mental state is very weak, that’s why I need the prayer, support, and understanding.

– I don’t need condemning and insensitive comments.

– Our hearts are hurting and deeply broken. They need time to heal.

– We don’t need comments in the Christian lingo that leave us feeling more ashamed, guilty, or condemned.

(This includes words like Where’s your faith? Get over it. You need to pray more. You need to read your Bible more. What’s your secret sin? What’s wrong with you? Snap out of it. Rebuke the devil.)

These type of comments can be helpful in the right context. However, when ministering to Christians suffering depression, they are definitely the wrong context.

When ministering, you don’t want to become like Job’s friends. They eventually condemned Job as the cause of the death of his ten children, his business failures, and his sicknesses.

Instead, you want to share the love of Jesus with them. Ways to shate can include a loving arm, a hug, a shoulder to cry on, zipped lips, a prayer, and being there without a word being said.

Remember that it’s CHRIST IN YOU doing His work through you to reach those suffering depression. Rest in His love and be heart-sensitive to those suffering around you.

Jesus wants to touch many broken hearts through you. Focus on CHRIST IN YOU. Let the Light and Love of CHRIST IN YOU shine forth to a hurting, sin-sick world.
Very thoughtful comments. I am sorry to hear you went through depression too.

Mine is long term and what they call treatment resistant. However I recently had a great relief from a new treatment. I do have to go back to hospital from time to time for a top up as the relief is not permanent. After many many years it is AMAZING to at least have periods of remission.

The sensitivity of what you wrote is very touching and greatly appreciated. To your list of ways to share I would only add "weep with those who weep". I tend to go on a bit about the value of empathy.

The old Romans 8:28 quote has always distressed me because it has been used to discount all people to whom truly "not good" things happen, the people who are casualties on the way to this "working together for good", the horrendously wounded (either physically or emotionally) along the way. The harming even killing of children is one thing that is especially nothing good but an outrage.

I actually find that whole chapter very confusing. Paul seems to me to jump from one thing to another eg one minute he is talking about future "glory" and the next about being glorified already. He is not really clear on what he means by expressions such as walking in the spirit. We live in bodies of flesh and we can't spiritualise everything that happens to our bodies. Sometimes we just have to go to hospital! Then there is the great "predestination" debate that I won't get into!

I think that is why for me God seemed to lead me away from the bible when I begged Him to teach me what is real. I am too easily confused. He left me with just knowing of His unfathomable love and to be led from there to loving Him back and loving others. Not that I am real good at it!
ianstephenson

Post by ianstephenson »

Last edited by ianstephenson on Fri Mar 10, 2017 11:30 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Jac

Re: Bob is sincere

Post by Jac »

Yes I too have stepped outside of a religious framework in finding an effective treatment for depression. Unlike you Ian I did not find much relief from cognitive behavioural therapy because I was not well enough to do what I needed to do to get well. Then when I could do it I didn't really need it because I was well!!

The glass half full/half empty thing used to just condemn me for being in that terrible black hole where the glass is half full/half empty of poison and you feel like you drank the other half.

My depression began in childhood (I was often punished for "crying too much"). Only in my 61st year did I find effective if only periodic relief.

With depression did you ever find a parallel to the old question "which comes first, the chicken or the egg" ? Depression actually causes symptoms such as poor sleep, poor eating habits, poor thinking skills, difficulty exercising etc which in turn exacerbate depression.

I think what works best for people varies so much because people are unique; no two people have exactly the same journey.